Fried Patty Pan Squash
Patty Pan Squash, fried. The only thing I didn't like is by the time you peel away the skin, there isn't much of the squash left. I used six, didn't want to over buy since i didn't know if I'd still like it or if any of my family would, they did! You may want to buy more than six. I let mine sit in the fridge for about 20 minutes to let the crust stiffen.
The picture is of my fried tomatoes and squash.
- 6 medium patty pan squash, peeled and rinsed
- 2 cups butter milk corn meal ( I always use more than needed to keep from re adding.)
- 1 cup of crushed bread crumbs, Italian style. ( I use the can)
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbs Mrs Dash table blend
- 2 cups corn oil ( 1 cup per pan)
- DO NOT CROWD PAN! PLACE NO MORE THAN 4-5 SLICES IN A PAN.
Mix corn meal and crumbs together on a plate, put flour onto a plate, milk in a bowl.
Slice squash 1/2 to 1 inch, depending on the thickness you want
Mix each slice in flour, dip into the milk, dredge through cornmeal/flour mix, place on paper towel laden plate. If placing in fridge, remove after 20 minutes.
Place 1 cup of oil in large pan, heated well on medium ( about 2-3 minutes)
Place squash in pan, reduce flame, shake 1 tbs of mrs dash over squash. let cook no more than 5 minutes on each side, depending on the softness and your taste. Drain on paper towel.