Slow-Cooker Beef and Barley Soup
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium yellow onions minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 pounds blade steak, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch
- Ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup mined fresh parsley
In a food processor, pulse the tomatoes and their juice until smooth, about 15 seconds. Set aside.
In a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onions, tomato paste, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Saute until the onions are softened and lightly browned, about 10-12 minutes.
Stir in the wine, using a spoon to scrape up any browned bits.
Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker, then stir in the processed tomatoes, both broths, carrots, soy sauce and barley.
Season the meat with salt and pepper, then nestle it into the other ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 9 to 11 hours or on high for 5 to 7 hours.
When done, uncover and turn off the heat. Let the cooking liquid settle for 5 minutes, then gently tilt the slow cooker and use a spoon to skim off as much fat as possible. Stir in the parsley, then adjust seasonings.