Beef and Shiner Bock Stew
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat, trimmed of visible fat, cut into 1-inch cubes and patted dry
- 3 tbsp. canola oil (divided use)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. chile powder
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle Shiner Bock
- 2 cups diced carrots
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 150mins
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly coat a 3-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. In a large bowl toss all the beef cubes with 1 tbsp. of the oil.
2. Combine the flour, salt, pepper and chile powder in another bowl. Toss the meat, in batches, into the seasoned flour.
3. Heat the remaining 2 tbsp. of oil in a large skiller over medium-high heat. Brown the meat in batches, turning to brown on all sides. Don't crowd the meat because it will not brown and produce the caramelzed juices.
4. When meat is done, add onions and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and the tomato paste, stirring constantly. Add the beef stock, beer, and carrots, scraping the bottomg og the pan to get up all the brown bits.
5. Transfer to stew the casserole dish, cover and bake for 2 hours, or until meat is tender.
6. Season meat with salt and pepper to taste.