Bûche chocolat à l'orange
This cakes was absolutely delicious! 5 people happily devoured the entire thing! This cake is not overly sweet, and is a great to brighten the palate of any holiday dessert table, which can sometimes be a little lacking in lighter flavors.
- 1 Orange
- 1 1/2 c Dark Chocolate
- 1/2 c Orange Marmalade
- 1/4 c Cointreau (orange liqueur)
- 1/2 c White Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 c All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 c Crème Fraiche (According to CDKitchens, 1/2 sour cream and 1/2 whipped cream can sub crème fraiche)
- 2/3 c Heavy Cream
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 c Butter
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from chefjoshuaalan.com
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
1. Seperate the eggs into two bowls.
2. Beat sugar and egg yolks until pale yellow color is achieved.
3. Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form.
4. Fold in whites and flour into yolk mixture, adding 1/2 at a time.
5. Line jelly roll sheet with parchment paper.
6. Pour batter onto paper and spread evenly into all corners.
7. Place in oven for 7-8 minutes
1. Chop chocolate into 1-inch pieces.
2. Bring heavy cream to a boil over medium heat.
3. Turn stove off, add chocolate, and let it sit for 2 minutes.
4. Stirring only in the middle of the pot, combine mixture. Stir until there is one solid color.
5. Add butter. Stir for 3 minutes.
6. Keep stirring until smooth.
7. Place ganache into bowl, and refrigerate.
1. Wet a clean dish towel, wring out thoroughly. Towel should be damp, not dripping wet.
2. Lay towel out on table.
3. Remove cake from oven, lay on towel, and remove paper.
4. Carefully roll the cake up with the towel.
5. Leave cake to sit for about 20-30 mins.
1. Using a pastry brush, apply the Cointreau to the unrolled cake.
2. Using a spatula, spread marmalade evenly over the cake.
3. Spoon ganache into center of cake, spread evenly with spatula.
4. Spoon crème fraiche on cake, spread evenly with spatula.
5. Carefully reroll cake, using the towel to help you along the way.
1. Place cake on desired serving tray. Cut off ends at an angle.
2. Using a spatula, apply the rest of ganache evenly over the rolled cake.
3. Spring fresh orange zest over the ganache and place orange slices on top.
Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. When ready, remove from fridge, and serve.