Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwiches
- 1 3 lb pork sirloin roast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup root beer
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 cups root beer (2 12oz cans or bottles)
- 1 cup bottled chili sauce
- 1/4 tsp root beer concentrate (optional)
- several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 8-10 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- lettuce leaves (optional)
- tomato slices (optional)
Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut roast to fit into slow cooker.
Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet, brown meat on all sides in hot oil. Drain.
Transfer meat to slow cooker. Add onions, 1 cup root beer and garlic. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
Meanwhile, for the sauce, in medium saucepan combine the 3 cups root beer and chili sauce. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally about 30 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 2 cups. If desired, add root beer and bottled hot pepper sauce.
Transfer roast to a cutting board or serving platter.
Using a slotted spoon, remove onions from cooking juices and place on serving plate. Discard juices.
Using 2 forks, pull meat apart into shreds.
To serve, line buns with lettuce and tomato slices. Add meat and onions; spoon on sauce.