Chicken Gravy & Drop Biscuits
Hot chicken gravy with mixed vegetables, served over fresh homemade biscuits
- Biscuit Ingredients:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening or butter
- 1 cup milk*
- Chicken Gravy Ingredients:
- 2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, and corn)
- 3-4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 clove minced garlic (or use 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold milk
Adapted from tammysrecipes.com
Chicken Gravy Directions:
1. Cut carrots into small chunks and cook with some of the broth in a large stock pot until tender; add onions, peas and corn and cook 10 minutes more.
2. Add chicken pieces, seasonings, and broth. Bring to a boil and cook for 5-10 minutes.
3. In small bowl, whisk together the flour and milk, removing lumps. Slowly pour into boiling mixture, stirring constantly. Boil for several minutes, until thickened into gravy. Taste and add salt or pepper as needed.
4. Serve over hot fresh biscuits.
1. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening.
2. Add milk, stirring just until moistened.
3. Drop biscuits onto ungreased baking sheets and bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
This gravy can also be served over rice or pasta, if desired.
*If you would like to roll out your biscuits and cut into shape, reduce the amount of milk to 3/4 cup rather than 1 cup.
Tammy's mom created this recipe after being served a similar meal in the hospital after having one of her children. Bet you've never heard of hospital food being so good that you want to make it at home! ;)
Baking powder biscuits recipe from a Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Breads cook book.
30 minutes (gravy); 10-12 minutes (biscuits)
You'll also love
- One Dish Rosemary Chicken and Rice... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Pork Marsala 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Weeknight Lemon Chicken Skillet... 3.9/5 (66 Votes)
- Best Oven-Fried Chicken 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole 4.3/5 (19 Votes)
- Baked Chicken Breasts in Gravy 3.9/5 (66 Votes)
- Chicken Ala King Recipe 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Barbecue Chicken Bubble-Up Bake 4.2/5 (30 Votes)