Chocolate, Orange and Whisky Mousse
- Ingredients (Mousse):
- 8 ounces (250g) plain chocolate which has been broken into smaller pieces.
- 4 large eggs - separated into whites and yolks.
- 2 tablespoons Scotch whisky. Note that US tablespoons are smaller than those in the UK so you may want to adjust this UK measurement!
- 2 tablespoons double cream (whipping cream). If you adjust the amount of whisky, add a bit more cream too!
- Finely grated rind of one orange.
- Ingredients (topping):
- 5 fluid ounces (150ml or a generous half cup) double cream (whipping cream).
- 1 tablespoon Scotch whisky.
- Pinch of caster (fine) sugar.
- Finely cut orange rind for decoration.
Place the broken chocolate, whisky and cream in a heatproof bowl and sit in a pan of simmering hot water, stirring until melted. Important - don't allow the mixture to boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool but remain melted. Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff. Beat the yolks with the finely grated orange rind. Stir the egg yolk mixture into the cooled chocolate cream. Then fold in the whisked egg whites.
Spoon the mixture into six individual dishes/glasses and chill in the fridge for at least three hours. Just before serving, whip the cream for the topping with the whisky and sugar. Decorate the mousse with the cream and the orange rind.