Pawleys Island Shrimp and Grits
This is supposedly the original Pawleys Island shrimp and grits recipe. It came from Mrs. Vehorn in Spartanburg, SC.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 T. bacon drippings (from cooking 6 slices bacon)
- 1 1/2 T. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 2 T. ketchup
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 drops Tabasco
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 c. water
- 2 c. half and half or heavy cream
- 1 stick butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1 c. grits
--Saute onion in bacon drippings. Stir in flour. Cook til browned.
--Add water, ketchup, W. sauce, salt and pepper; mix well. Add shrimp and crumbled bacon. Simmer for 15 minutes, adding more water if needed.
Add grits to all other ingredients that have been brought to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often. Add optional cheeses in last 5 minutes.