Strawberry Crumb Bars
A shortbread-like crust topped with fresh strawberry filling and a crunchy streusel
- Serves 24
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter – cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- + 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 3/4 cup strawberry jelly
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from yahoo.com
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 13×9 in pan with non stick spray.
2. In electric mixer stir together flour, sugar and salt. With the mixer on a low speed add the 1 cup of butter, 1 piece at a time. Continue mixing until combined – about 1 to 1½ minutes. Take 1¼ cups of this mixture and set aside. With the remaining, press this firmly into the bottom of the pan. Bake at 375 for 14 minutes. The edges will be slightly browned.
3. While that is baking. Add brown sugar, and oats to the reserved flour mixture. Work in the remaining 2 Tbls of butter, using your fingers. Work until it is in small clumps.
4. Combine the jelly, strawberries and the lemon juice in a small bowl. Mash with a fork to combine. Be sure to leave some chunks of berries in there.
5. Spread filling evenly over the hot crust. Sprinkle with the streusel topping over the strawberries. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes. The crust will be brown, and the filling will be bubbly. Enjoy!