Corn - Sagaponack Corn Pudding
- 8 (2)
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter (2 Tbsp)
- 5 cups fresh corn kernels cut off the cob (6 to 8 ears) (1 1/4 Cups
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion) (1/4 Cup)
- 4 extra-large eggs (1 Egg)
- 1 cup milk (1/4 Cup)
- 1 cup half-and-half (1/4 Cup)
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal (2 Tbsp)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (1/4 Cup)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (3/4 tsp)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (3/4 tsp)
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (1/4 + 1/8 tsp)
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) grated extra-sharp Cheddar, plus extra to sprinkle on top (3 Tbsp)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 65mins
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease the inside of an 8- to 10-cup baking dish.
Melt the butter in a very large sauté pan and sauté the corn and onion over medium-high heat for 4 minutes. Cool slightly.
Whisk together the eggs, milk, and half-and-half in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal and then the ricotta. Add the basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add the cooked corn mixture and grated Cheddar, and then pour into the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with more grated Cheddar.
Place the dish in a larger pan and fill the pan halfway up the sides of the dish with hot tap water. Bake the pudding for 40 to 45 minutes, until the top begins to brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.