Pappadeaux Dirty Rice
When you're wanting Pappadeaux's dirty rice but don't want to leave the house, this copycat recipe will satisfy your cravings.
- DIRTY RICE SEASONING MIX:
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoon dirty rice seasoning (see below)
- 1/2 cup onion, medium dice
- 2 cups steamed long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced fine
- 1 pound ground meat mixture (see below)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard (Coleman's is best)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Thyme and oregano, all to taste
- GROUND MEAT MIXTURE includes chicken lilvers, gizzards, and pork in equal portions to make a pound of meat.
- SEASONING MEAT MEXTURE Includes red pepper, salt, black pepper, paprika, dry mustard, comino, thyme and oregano, all to taste.
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Brown the ground meat mixture in the oil. Stir in seasoning mixture and the bay leaf and saute about one minute.
Add vegetables and sauté 3 to 4 minutes on high heat, stirring frequently. Add the uncooked rice and mix in well. Cover and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes. Stir in steamed rice.