Zaalouk (Moroccan Eggplant Salad)
- 1 eggplant, approximately 1 lb.
- 1 lb. ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ea. parsley & cilantro, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prick the eggplant in several places with a fork, and place into a small baking pan. Bake until tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Then, remove it from the oven, let it cool a bit, then peel and dice.
In a medium non-stick skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes. Add the eggplant, garlic, spices, parsley and cilantro. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has reduced, approximately 20-25 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then transfer the mixture to a serving dish, and stir in the lemon juice. Garnish with parsley leaves, if desired.
Serve at room temperature with Moroccan bread.
You'll also love
- Pan-Seared Turkey Cutlets with... 3.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Yummy Apple Cobbler 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Hungry Girl Pumpkin Pie 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Loaded Red Potato Casserole 3.9/5 (9 Votes)
- Italian Marinated Eggplant... 3.9/5 (18 Votes)
Review this recipe