Italian Marinated Eggplant Antipasto
The perfect starter for a great meal. Strips of eggplant are packed into jars of Italian marinade until ready for use.
- 1 pound eggplant
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 fresh or dried long chili, finely chopped (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from cookingwithrosie.blogspot.com
Wash and pare eggplant. Slice into 1/2-inch thick slices, and then cut again into 1/2-inch strips.
Drop strips into a pan of boiling water. When the water returns to a boil, remove pan from heat and let stand for 15 minutes. The strips will become translucent and sink to the bottom.
Drain in colander and place a small plate on top of eggplant, adding a heavy weight (such as a gallon jug of water). Let it drain for at least an hour.
In a medium bowl, stir together the rest of the ingredients to make the marinade, and then add the eggplant, stirring gently.
Refrigerate and serve within 2 days, or pack into 2 small jars or 1 pint jar and twist the lid(s) on tightly. Process in a hot water bath for 5 minutes (I boiled mine for 5 minutes instead). Keep refrigerated after opening.
You'll also love
- Crab Melt 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Shrimp Skimpy 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Lemon Blueberry Smoothie 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Radish Carpaccio 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Tomato Lemon Chicken over... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Spinach Dip Wreath 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Chocolate granola bars 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Eggplant with Garlic & Vinegar -... 3.6/5 (7 Votes)