Makes 24 squares
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- juice of 2 lemons
- powdered sugar
1. preheat oven to 350
2. whisk together 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar and salt in a large bowl. Work softened butter into dough just until combined. Press dough evenly into bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch baking pan.
3. Bake 20 to 25 mins or until dough is firm and golden. Remove from oven to wire rack.
4. combine remaining sugar and flour in a medium bowl. Whisk in eggs and lemon juice until smooth. Pour mixture over baked crust. Bake 20 to 25 mins just until filling is set. Topping will firm up as bars cool. Transfer pan to wire rack. cool completely.
5. Dust with powdered sugar. Cut into 2 inch squares; remove from pan with metal spatula. Store, covered in refridgerator for up to 3 days.