Chicken and Turkey Sausage Gumbo
- 1 Slow Cooker Liner
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast or turkey breast (10 ounces)
- 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage links, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra or one 10-ounce package frozen cut okra, partially thawed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red or green sweet pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
For roux:In a heavy medium saucepan, cook flour over medium heat about 6 minutes or until brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Gradually stir broth into flour. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
Pour thickened flour mixture into a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker.
Add chicken, sausage, okra, the water, onion, sweet pepper, celery, garlic, thyme, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Skim off fat.
Serve gumbo over hot cooked brown ric