- cooking spray
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large tart apple, cored and chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 9-inch square pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine 5 tablespoons butter and 1 cup suar, beat with mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add egg and beat well. Stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, apples, and walnuts. Batter will be stiff. Spoon into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake about 35 minutes.
3. Combine remaining 3 tablespoons butter, 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and evaporated milk in saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Pour over hot cake just before serving. Serve warm.