Eat it with a steak knife; it's surprisingly hefty
- 2 large heads of cauliflower, stems lightly trimmed
- 2 ears of corn, shucked
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 fresh red chile, seeded
- and minced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons drained capers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cooking time 31mins
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Cut three 3/4-inch-thick center slices from each head of cauliflower to form "steaks." Reserve the remaining cauliflower
for another use.
2. In a saucepan of boiling salted water. cook the corn until tender. about 3 minutes. Drain and cool. then cut the kernels from the cobs.
3. In a medium skillet. heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the chile and cook over moderately high heat for
30 seconds. Add the scallions and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Stir in the corn and capers and season with salt and black pepper.
4. In a large, nonstick skillet. heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until shimmering. Add 3 cauliflower steaks and
season with salt. Cook over moderate heat until lightly browned. about 3 minutes per side; transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining 1tablespoon of oil and 3 cauliflower steaks.
5. Press the corn-scallion mixture into the spaces between the cauliflower florets. Bake the cauliflower
steaks for 25 minutes. until tender and richly browned.