Overnight Cherry Danish
- 2 packages (1/4 oz. each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110* to 115*)
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups warm half and half cream
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- dash salt
- 4 to 5 Tablespoons half and half cream
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add the yeast mixture, cream and egg yolks; stir until mixture forms a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Punch down dough; divide into quarters. Roll each portion into an 18 x 4 inch rectangle; cut into 1 x 4 inch strips.
Place two strips side by side; twist together. Shape into a ring; pinch ends together. Repeat with remaining strips. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make a 1/2 inch deep indentation in the center of each roll. Fill each with about 1 Tablespoon pie filling.
Bake at 350* for 14-16 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
For icing: In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla, salt and enough cream to achieve a drizzling consistency. ( 3 dozen)