Laura Bush's Corn Bread Dressing
- Corn Bread:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbs. baking powder
- 4 tsp. sugar
- salt to taste (about 1 tsp.)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup (16 oz.) unsalted butter
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 cup fresh sage, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste (about 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper)
- 3 cups turkey stock (or canned chicken broth)
1. Corn Bread: Heat oven to 450. Pour oil into 13 x 9 x 2 inch metal baking pan. Heat oil in oven until very hot, 5 minutes.
2. In large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt. Stir in eggs, milk. Carefully pour oil into cornmeal mixture; mix. Pour into heated pan.
3.Bake at 450 20 to 25 minutes, until golden. Let stand 10 minutes then crumble.
4. Dressing: Reduce oven to 350. In large skillet, saute onion and celery in 12 tbs. butter and the olive oil until vegetables are softened, about 7 minutes.
5. In bowl, mix onion mixture, sage, salt, pepper, bread. Spoon in 13 x 9 x 2-in. glass baking dish. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over top, with stock. Cover with foil. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 10 minutes, until browned.
1 1/2 TBS. SAGE AND POULTRY SEASONING + 3/4 TSP. SAGE. 2 1/2 CUBES BUTTER, 2/12 CANS MILK, 1 CAN MUSHROOM AND CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP.