Morton's Creamed Spinach
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 1/4 tbs minced garlic
- 2 tsp seasoned or coarse salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/7 cups half and half cream
- 2 1/4 lbs chopped frozen spinach
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and sautee for about 10 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Stir in the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
2. Sprinkle the flour over the onion and cook over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, for about 4 minutes, or until there is a nutty aroma. Add the half and half and cook over medium low heat, whisking occasionally, until hot. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Whisk continuously for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the mixture thickens.
3. Remove the pan from the heat. Using a handheld immersion blender, blend the sauce for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Stir in the spinach until well mixed and heated through. Serve immediately or cover and set aside to keep warm.
4. Just before serving, re-heat over medium heat, and stir in the parmesan cheese. Correct seasonings if necessary.