Brown Sugar-Apple Crisp With Vanilla Ice Cream
- 8 large Golden Delicious apples - (abt 3 1/2 lbs) peeled, cored, halved, and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar - (packed)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - (1 stick) cut into pieces, and at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk
- Vanilla ice cream
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Toss apples, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, and lemon peel in prepared dish.
Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in medium bowl. Add butter and egg yolk and rub in with fingertips until mixture forms moist clumps. Sprinkle topping over apples.
Bake until apples are tender and topping is golden and crisp, about 28 minutes. Cool 20 minutes. Serve crisp warm with vanilla ice cream.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Adding fresh lemon juice and grated lemon peel to the filling enhances the flavor of the apples.