- 4 pounds seedless watermelon
- Eight 1-inch-long strips lime peel
- Kosher salt
- 16 ounces (2 cups) fresh lime juice (from about 16 small limes)
- 16 ounces (2 cups) tequila blanco (“silver tequila”)
- 8 ounces (1 cup) Triple Sec, Cointreau, or other orange liqueur
Preparation time 15mins
Cut the flesh from the melon (discard the rind), chop it into chunks, and transfer it, in batches if necessary, to a food processor or blender. Liquefy the watermelon. You should have about 1 quart watermelon juice.
For each cocktail, salt the rim of an 8-ounce glass by first smearing it with a piece of lime peel and then dipping it in a saucer of kosher salt. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, and add 4 ounces tequila, and 1 ounce orange liqueur. Shake vigorously and strain into the glass. Garnish with the lime peel.
VARIATION: Watermelon Lime Cooler: If you’re the abstemious type, omit the alcohol in this drink, pour it over ice, and you’ve got a really delicious summer cooler. You may want to add a splash of seltzer to make it a little less sticky. (You’ll see what I mean).