Puffed Apple Pancake
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter - (1/2 stick)
- 12 ounces Golden Delicious apples - (abt 2) peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons golden brown sugar - (packed)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Whisk milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon in large bowl until well blended. Add flour and whisk until batter is smooth. Place butter in 13- by 9-inch glass baking dish. Place dish in oven until butter melts, about 5 minutes. Remove dish from oven.
Place apple slices in overlapping rows atop melted butter in baking dish. Return to oven and bake until apples begin to soften slightly and butter is bubbling and beginning to brown around edges of dish, about 10 minutes.
Pour batter over apples in dish and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake pancake until puffed and brown, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. Serve warm.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
This breakfast treat rises like Yorkshire pudding and has the texture of a classic baked pancake. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the pancake after it's baked, if you like.