Warm Endive Salad With Parmesan And Hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove finely chopped
- 4 large Belgian endive heads halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 8 tablespoons freshly-grated Parmesan cheese - (abt 2 oz)
- Chopped toasted hazelnuts for garnish
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish
Heat olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds. Add endive, cut-side down. Add wine and broth and bring to boil. Cover and cook 5 minutes.
Using tongs, turn endive over. Cover and cook until crisp-tender, about 1 minute longer. Remove skillet from heat.
Using tongs, lift endive from skillet, draining liquid from each back into skillet, and transfer 2 halves, cut-side up, to each of 4 plates.
Add vinegar to skillet; cook over medium heat until sauce reduces slightly, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper; spoon over endive. Sprinkle each salad with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, then hazelnuts and chives.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
This sophisticated starter would lend an elegant touch to any special meal.