- 15 - to 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard, or more, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, or more, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives or scallion
- 8 to 10 ripe plum (Roma) tomatoes
- Paprika for topping
- Shredded lettuce or baby greens, optional
Combine the chickpeas, mayonnaise, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, mustard, curry powder, and pepper in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse on and off until the mixture is nicely melded, but don’t puree—leave a little texture. Add the chives or scallion through the feed tube and pulse on and off a few times to whirl in.
If you don’t have a food processor, simply mash the chickpeas well in a bowl, and stir in the mayonnaise, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, mustard, curry powder, pepper, and chives.
Cut the tomatoes in half and scoop out the seedy center with a spoon. You’ll be left with a neat shell (save what you’ve scooped out for another use, such as blending into a juice or sauce). Stuff the tomatoes generously with the chickpea mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.
Serve on a platter atop a bed of lettuce or greens.