Chinese Barbecued Pork
- 1 pound whole pork belly, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce, or substitute regular soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
Adapted from appetiteforchina.com
~To Marinate the pork belly:
* In a large bowl, mix together the rice wine, dark soy sauce, sugar, garlic, hoisin sauce, and five-spice powder.
* Rub the pork belly with the marinade mixture and marinate for 2 to 3 hours in the refrigerator.
* Preheat the oven to 325°F.
* Hold up the pork for a few seconds to allow excess marinade to drip off, then place the pork in a roasting pan.
* Brush the top with the honey.
* Roast the pork for about 45 minutes, flipping over the pork belly half-way through and brushing honey on the other side.
* The pork is done when the outsides begin to crisp and blacken and the center of the pork belly strip feels firm.
* Remove the pork from oven and let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
* Transfer to a cutting board and cut into thin slices.
* Arrange the slices on a plate and serve.