These hash browns are so good they hold their own alone, but they make an awesome side dish, especially with roast chicken or Cornish hen.
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Freshly ground pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan, add 4 cups of water and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Simmer, partially covered, until almost tender. Drain and pat dry.
Heat a 10-inch nonstick skillet. Add the vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter. When the foam subsides, add the potatoes and cook, tossing, until lightly golden. Season with salt and pepper and roughly mash the potatoes with a spatula. Dot the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter over the potatoes, cover and cook until crusty on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Slide the potatoes onto a plate and invert them back into the pan. Cook until the underside is nice and crusty. Slide the potatoes onto a platter and serve.
You'll also love
- Crock Pot Minestrone Soup 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Molten Lava Cake in a Mug 3.8/5 (100 Votes)
- Amish Onion Patties 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Baked Creamy Corn Casserole 4.2/5 (24 Votes)
- Perfect Roast Potatoes Recipe 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes 4.5/5 (16 Votes)
- Crockpot Smoked Sausage & Hash... 4.1/5 (21 Votes)