Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie without the pot. This one-pan dish combines chicken, carrots, peas, thyme, and hash brown potatoes under flaky biscuits for dinner tonight!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh carrots, sliced, about 4 medium carrots
- 2 cups frozen southern-style diced hash brown potatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) jar chicken gravy
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1 (12-ounce) can Pillsbury® Grands!® Jr. Golden Layers® refrigerated buttermilk or flaky original biscuits
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from bettycrocker.com
In 12-inch nonstick ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sprinkle with salt, 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme and the pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is browned.
Move chicken to 1 side of skillet. Add carrots and potatoes; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir gravy into chicken and vegetables. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding peas during last 5 minutes of cook time, until chicken is no longer pink in center and vegetables are tender.
During last 15 minutes of cook time, heat oven to 400°F. Separate dough into 10 biscuits. Cut each into quarters; place in large bowl. Sprinkle garlic powder and remaining teaspoon thyme over dough; toss to coat. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until biscuit pieces are golden brown. Scatter biscuit pieces over top of cooked chicken mixture before serving.
If you have a bag of frozen mixed vegetables in the freezer, use 3 cups mixed vegetables, thawed, for the carrots and peas. After cooking the potatoes, add the mixed veggies with the chicken. Cubed hash brown potatoes are called “southern-style,” and shredded potatoes are called “country-style.” Either one can be used in this skillet pot pie.
1 Serving Calories450 ( Calories from Fat150), % Daily Value Total Fat16g16% (Saturated Fat3 1/2g,3 1/2% Trans Fat2 1/2g2 1/2% ), Cholesterol60mg60%; Sodium1430mg1430%; Total Carbohydrate47g47% (Dietary Fiber3g3% Sugars7g7% ), Protein28g28%
You'll also love
- Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken 4.5/5 (41 Votes)
- Cat Head Biscuits from Cook's... 4/5 (95 Votes)
- Bacon, Cheddar, Chicken & Rice Bake 4.2/5 (68 Votes)
- Baked Mozzarella Chicken Rolls 4.6/5 (34 Votes)
- Chicken & Biscuit Bake 4.6/5 (30 Votes)
- One Pan Ranch Pork Chops & Veggies 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- One Pan Pork Chops and Veggies 0/5 (0 Votes)
Review this recipe