Braised Carrots and Parsnips with Dried Cranberries
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced on bias 1/4 inch thick
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and sliced on bias 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Adapted from cooksillustrated.com
For a vegetarian version, you can substitute vegetable stock or water for the chicken broth.
1. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large Dutch oven over high heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add broth, cider, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; bring to simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add carrots and parsnips, stir to combine, and return to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 10 to 14 minutes.
2. Remove pot from heat. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves and stir in cranberries. Push vegetable mixture to sides of pot. Add mustard and remaining 2 tablespoons butter to center and whisk into cooking liquid. Stir to coat vegetable mixture with sauce, transfer to serving dish, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.