Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- 4 large white onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 64 ounces beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 4 springs fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 slices dry french bread
- 3/4 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded (or substitute similar cheese)
- 1/2 cup Emmental cheese, shredded
- 6 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese
Preparation time 20mins
In a large non-stick pan, cook onions, butter and brown sugar over medium low heat until golden and caramelized (about 20 minutes).
Once golden, add to the slow cooker along with remaining ingredients except bread and cheeses.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Remove and discard bay leaf and ladle the soup into bowls. Top with dry bread slices and cheeses. Broil 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.