Spicy Shrimp & Cellophane-Noodle Salad
A perfect recipe to make ahead and put together right before serving. The combination of seasonings, noodles, shrimp and spicy dressing makes a fantastic dish. Don't have shrimp? No worries, squid or chicken make great substitutes.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 red Thai chile, sliced paper thin
- 1 kaffir lime leaf, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 1/4 pounds large shrimp, shelled, or small squid bodies, halved lengthwise
- 2 (2-ounce) packages dried cellophane noodles
- Boiling water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups mint leaves
- 3/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 3/4 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup salted roasted peanuts, chopped
- Lime wedges, for serving
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a bowl, combine the lime juice with the fish sauce, sugar, oil, chile, lime leaf and oyster sauce. In another bowl, toss the shrimp with half of the chile-lime dressing. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large heatproof bowl, cover the cellophane noodles with warm water. Let stand until pliable, 5 minutes.
Light a grill. Drain the cellophane noodles. Using scissors, cut the noodles into 2-inch lengths and return them to the bowl. Cover the noodles with the boiling water and let stand until they are softened, about 1 minute. Drain well.
Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and grill over high heat until just tender, about 1 minute per side. In a bowl, toss the shrimp with the cellophane noodles, scallions, mint, cilantro, basil and the remaining dressing.
Mound the salad on plates or a platter. Sprinkle with the peanuts and serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!