Apple-Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes
- Pancake Batter:
- ◾1 1/4 cups unbleached flour
- ◾2 tablespoons sugar
- ◾2 teaspoons baking powder
- ◾3/4 teaspoon salt
- ◾1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- ◾1 1/3 cups almond milk or soymilk
- ◾1/2 tablespoon egg replacer powder* mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- ◾1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional, but good)
- Cinnamon-Apple Swirl Batter:
- ◾2 tablespoons prepared batter (above)
- ◾2 tablespoons natural apple sauce
- ◾1 teaspoon cinnamon
In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add almond (or soy) milk and egg replacer mixture and stir just until flour is moistened. (For thicker pancakes, use only 1 cup milk.) Let the batter rest for 5 minutes while the skillet heats.
While the batter is resting, combine all of the “swirl” ingredients, using 2 tablespoons of the prepared batter.
Heat a non-stick griddle or skillet (sprayed lightly with non-stick spray) over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles. Gently stir the walnuts into the batter. Pour batter by scant 1/4 cupfuls onto hot griddle. Immediately drizzle the cinnamon-apple batter over the top of each pancake in a swirl pattern. Cook until tops are bubbly and bubbles burst; edges will look dry. With a pancake turner, turn and cook until undersides are golden. Place on a warm platter; keep warm.
Repeat until all batter is used, brushing griddle lightly with canola oil, if necessary, to prevent sticking. Serve pancakes with syrup or other topping as desired.