Bones & Blood
Make some cookies shaped like bones and serve with a hot chocolate and strawberry 'blood' dip. Perfect for your Halloween party.
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash of salt
- 4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup strawberry jelly
- Red food coloring, optional
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 70mins
Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the flour, almonds, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
Add the vanilla, cream of tartar, salt, and, if desired, food coloring to the egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in the flour mixture.
Cut a ½ in hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag. Fill the bag with the egg white mixture. Pipe 4 inch logs onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Pipe two ½ in balls at both ends of each log. Bake at 300°F for 25-30 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the heavy whipping cream, chocolate chips and strawberry jelly. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals until melted; stir until smooth. Tint red, if desired. Cool to room temperature and serve with bones. Refrigerate leftover sauce.
You'll also love
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (685 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Ricotta &... 4.5/5 (494 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Bread 4.5/5 (452 Votes)
- Kool-Aid Ice Cubes in Sprite 4.5/5 (234 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup 4.5/5 (200 Votes)
- Halloween Oreo Chocolate Chip... 4.5/5 (140 Votes)
- 7-Layer Vegetarian Greek Dip 4.5/5 (135 Votes)