Peach Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks or 6 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup dark or light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) buttermilk, sour cream or full-fat yogurt
- 3 large peaches, peeled, cored, and chopped smallish (I went for a 1/3-inch dice
- Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 8-ounce packages of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces or 8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 28 muffin cups with paper liners.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg and set aside. Cream the butter and sugars together, beating until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl between each addition, and then the vanilla. Gently mix in the buttermilk, sour cream or yogurt. Stir in the dry ingredients and fold in the peach chunks.
Divide the batter evenly among the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes for five minutes in the tin, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, cornstarch and powdered sugar. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the sugar-cornstarch mixture and vanilla, beat until frosting is smooth and light. Chill the bowl in the refrigerator until it thickens back up a bit, about 30 minutes, then spread or dollop on cooled cupcakes.