Macaroni And Cheese With Prosciutto
- 8 ounces small elbow macaroni - (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyère cheese - (packed) abt 6 oz
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 ounces thinly-sliced prosciutto coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground balck pepper to taste
Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 400 degrees. Butter 11- by 7-inch glass baking dish. Cook macaroni in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain well.
Whisk 1/2 cup Gruyère, cream, milk, prosciutto, Parmesan and nutmeg in large bowl to blend. Add macaroni and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup Gruyère over.
Bake until cheese melts and macaroni and cheese sets, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
This French take on macaroni and cheese has a nice assertive flavor.