100 calorie lemon bars
- 4 tablespoons light or reduced fat butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (or powdered sweetener)
- 1 cup plain | all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (corn flour)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 extra large eggs
- 1 cup superfine or caster sugar (or powdered sweetener)*
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (from 2-3 lemons)
- 2 level tablespoons plain | all-purpose flour
- 2-3 tablespoons confectioners, powdered or icing sugar (or powdered sweetener)
Preheat oven to 350°F | 175°C. Line a 8x8-inch pan with baking / parchment paper; set aside.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine together the butter, apple sauce, sugar (or sweetener), flour and cornstarch. Using a fork or your hands, blend ingredients together until sandy in consistency.
Pour into lined pan and press down evenly to form a base; bake for 20 minutes, or until firm and slightly golden.
While the base is baking, whisk the filling ingredients until well combined. As soon as the base comes out of the oven, give the filling one more whisk and pour the filling over the base.
Return to the oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until just set.
Allow to cool for an hour before refrigerating for about 2 hours. Dust with confectioners, powdered or icing sugar (or powdered sweetener).
Cut into 20 squares and serve