Baked Carrots With Cheese Sauce
- 4 pounds large carrots peeled, and cut into 1/3"-thick rounds
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 ounces coarsely-grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup crushed corn bread stuffing mix
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Steam carrots until almost tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer carrots to prepared dish.
Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery and sauté until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Mix vegetables into carrots.
Combine cheese and flour in medium bowl. Toss to coat cheese evenly with flour; mix in cream. Stir cheese mixture into carrot mixture. Sprinkle stuffing mix over.
Bake carrots uncovered until sauce is bubbling thickly and topping is crusty, about 20 minutes.
This recipe yields 6 servings.