Quick & Easy Fried Dough
Nothing better than fried dough with butter and cinnamon sugar, reminiscent of elephant ears at the fair. Serve with your favorite toppings.
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, 8 1/2 ounces
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from kingarthurflour.com
Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Work in the cold butter, using a pastry blender, your fingers, or a mixer. Stir in the warm water to make a soft dough. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
Divide the dough into eight pieces. Working with one piece at a time, roll into a thin 5" round.
Heat 1/4" vegetable oil to 375°F in an electric frying pan, or in a pan over a burner. If you're not using an electric frying pan, you'll have to guesstimate the temperature of the oil in your stove-top pan.
Pick up one dough disk, and carefully lower it into the pan. Let it cook for 45 to 60 seconds (it'll puff up on top and become brown on the bottom), then flip it over and cook till brown on the other side, about 45 seconds. Remove from the oil and set on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Place in a 200°F oven to keep warm while you make the remaining fried doughs.
Serve warm, with maple syrup or cider syrup; confectioners' sugar, or cinnamon sugar; or the topping of your choice.
You'll also love
- Fried Dough / Sfingi 4.1/5 (62 Votes)
- Ham and Pineapple Cheeseball 4.3/5 (55 Votes)
- StoveTop Stuffing Meatloaf 4.1/5 (82 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken Wings with... 4.4/5 (32 Votes)
- Ina Garten's Baked Blintzes with... 4.2/5 (56 Votes)
- Crab Cucumber Bites 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
- Deep-Fried Twinkies 4.1/5 (66 Votes)
- Ranch Fried Chicken- Cook's... 3.9/5 (39 Votes)