Ranch Fried Chicken- Cook's Country Recipe
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
Classic American ranch dressing herbs and seasonings appear in three components of the recipe—the buttermilk coating, the flour coating, and the ranch dipping sauce—to pack summer flavors into this fried chicken. Using boneless thighs ensures juicy meat without the hour-long brining process. Frying the thin thighs takes half the time that bone-in chicken parts require, which allows the fresh herb flavors to flourish.
- 8 (5 to 7 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 quarts peanut or vegetable oil
- Buttermilk mixture:
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Ranch Sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from cookscountry.com
FOR THE CHICKEN: Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
FOR THE BUTTERMILK MIXTURE: Whisk buttermilk, chives, cilantro, dill, vinegar, garlic, salt and cayenne together in bowl. Set aside 1/4 cup buttermilk mixture for ranch sauce.
FOR THE COATING: Whisk flour, cornstarch, chives, cilantro, dill, garlic powder, salt and pepper together in large bowl.
Set wire rack in rimmed baking sheet. Set second wire rack in second rimmed baking sheet and line half of rack with triple layer of paper towels.
Working with 1 piece at a time, dip chicken in remaining buttermilk mixture to coat, letting excess drip back into bowl; then dredge in coating, pressing to adhere. Transfer chicken to first wire rack (without paper towels). (At this point, coated chicken may be refrigerated, uncovered, for up to 2 hours.)
Heat oil in large Dutch oven (use a Dutch oven that holds 6 quarts or more) over medium-high heat until it reaches 350°F. Add half of chicken to hot oil and fry until golden brown and registers 175°, 7 to 9 minutes. Adjust burner, if necessary, to maintain oil temperature between 325°F and 350°F
Transfer chicken to paper towel–lined side of second wire rack to drain on each side for 30 seconds, then move to unlined side of rack. Return oil to 350°F and repeat with remaining chicken.
FOR THE RANCH SAUCE: Whisk mayonnaise into reserved buttermilk mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer chicken to platter and serve with ranch sauce.
You'll also love
- Corn Nuggets 3.8/5 (630 Votes)
- Ranch Chicken Enchilada Caserole 4.3/5 (22 Votes)
- Shrimp Scampi 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- Apple Fries with Caramel Cream Dip 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Latin Fried Chicken 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Santa Fe Baked Chicken Recipe 4.1/5 (40 Votes)
- Fried Chicken Ala Max's 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Mozzarella Stick Onion Rings 4.3/5 (10 Votes)