Cauliflower, Leek and Bacon Gratin
The cauliflower in this recipe is bathed in a silky smooth cheese sauce and enlivened with leeks and bacon.
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into bite-size florets
- 6 slices bacon, cut into thin strips
- 3 leeks, chopped into half moons
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Gruyere
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 75mins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8 inch square or oval dish.
2. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook cauliflower for 5 minutes. Drain. Set aside in a bowl.
3. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes or until crispy. Set aside on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tsp. of fat. Add leeks to the skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until very soft and just starting to turn golden.
Transfer to the bowl with the cauliflower. Add bacon.
4. Wipe skillet clean. Melt butter in the skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour; cook, whisking, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Whisk for 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and thickened. Whisk in the Gruyere, Parmesan and salt until cheese is melted.
5. Pour over cauliflower mixture, stirring until well coated.
6. Transfer to buttered dish.
In a bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs, cheese and butter. Sprinkle over the dish. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden on top and heated throughout.
Use broccoli and cheddar in place of cauliflower and Gruyere and Parmesan.
You'll also love
- Asparagus-White Bean Gratin 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Moroccan-Style Salmon with... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Green Papaya-Style Salad 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Spinach & Mushroom Crustless Quiche 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- CROCK-POT PULLED PORK IN MUSHROOM... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Beef Liver Pâté with Balsamic... 4/5 (10 Votes)
- Pulled Pork Hot Dogs with Broccoli... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Spinach Salad with Shrimp and Warm... 4.2/5 (24 Votes)
Review this recipe