Roasted Tomato Salsa
Two chipotles can be very spicy,but then i enjoy spicy
- 2 pounds Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 medium white onion, cut into six wedges
- 1 large garlic clove, halved
- a couple pinches of finely ground sea salt
- 2-3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium dried guajillo chile pepper, soaked in boiling water until softened, and then drained
- 1 -2 chipotles in adobo sauce (canned)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
Adapted from 101cookbooks.com
Heat oven to 400F degrees. Now gently tossed the tomatoes, onions, garlic, and salt with the olive oil in a large bowl. After they are nicely coated arrange in a single layer, tomatoes cut-side facing up, across a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the tomatoes start to collapse and the onions begin to caramelize a bit. Remove from the oven.
Puree the chiles (both the guajillo and chipotles) with the roasted garlic and two roasted tomato halves. Chop the remaining tomatoes by hand (once they've cooled a bit). Chop and add the onions as well. Season with salt and stir in the cilantro.