Warm Baby Beets And Herring With Mustard-Dill Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill - (packed)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 16 baby beets stems trimmed
- to 2" long
- 12 pickled herring fillets halved lengthwise
- Fresh dill sprigs
Whisk mustard, vinegar and sugar in medium bowl to blend. Mix in chopped dill. Gradually whisk in oil, then cream. Season sauce with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before using.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap beets in foil. Bake until tender, about 1 hour. Cool to room temperature in foil. Peel beets and halve lengthwise.
Pour some of sauce into center of each of 4 plates. Arrange roasted beets and herring around sauce. Garnish with fresh dill sprigs. Serve, passing remaining sauce separately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.