Cheesy Baked Orzo with Bacon & Peas
By carol gorman
OMG this is good! A delicious orzo casserole featuring bacon, peas, Gruyere and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- 8 ounces bacon, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound orzo
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from familycircle.com
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon; cook 8 minutes, until crispy. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute. Whisk in flour; cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk, bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Stir in Gruyere, salt and pepper until smooth. Set aside.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add orzo; cook 2 minutes less than package directions. Drain. Stir into sauce with peas and cooked bacon.
Transfer orzo to a 2-quart baking dish. Top with Parmesan. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until bubbling and lightly browned.
You'll also love
- Wilted Spinach Salad with grilled... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Wolfermans Patrician Potatoes 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Turkey Enchiladas Fantasticas 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Smoked Char Siu Pork Shoulder... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Mexican Pork Discada 3.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Fresh Pasta by Trattoria Bel Paese 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Martha Stewart's One Pot Pasta Meal 4.3/5 (27 Votes)
- 21 Day Fix Bacon Cheeseburger 5/5 (1 Votes)