Butternut Squash Risotto
Making risotto is a labor of love, because you have to be patient, stirring the rice and adding more broth a little at a time, but in the end you get a delicious restaurant quality dish that you can proudly say you made yourself, without all the added butter you would get if you ate this dish out. It's also really filling, one serving will fill you up. If you wish serve it with a salad on the side and call it a meal.
- 3 cups fat free low-sodium chicken broth (use vegetable broth for vegetarian)
- 1 cup butternut squash puree
- 1 tsp butter or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup shallots, chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 oz dry white wine
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 2 cups fresh baby arugula, for garnish
In a large saucepan, heat broth and butternut squash puree over medium-high heat. When it boils, reduce heat to a simmer and maintain over low heat, taste for salt and adjust as needed.
In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, heat oil or butter until melted. Add shallots, garlic and rice; saute until the rice is well coated with oil or butter, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and sage and stir until it is absorbed.
Add a ladleful of the simmering stock; wait until it is absorbed before adding another ladleful stirring gently and almost constantly. Stirring loosens the starch molecules from the outside of the rice grains into the surrounding liquid, creating a smooth creamy-textured liquid.
Continue this process until the rice is creamy, tender to the bite, but slightly firm in the center and all the stock is used, about 25-30 minutes from the time you started. When all the liquid is absorbed, stir in the grated cheese and remove from heat.
Serve immediately and top with baby arugula and extra grated cheese if desired. Makes 3 2/3 cups.
Servings: 4 • Size: just under 1 cup • Old Pts: 5 pts • Weight Watchers Pts+: 7 pts
Calories: 249 • Fat: 3 g • Protein: 7.5 g • Carb: 45 g • Fiber: 1 g • Sugar: 1 g
Sodium: 461 mg
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (810 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (397 Votes)
- Zucchini Parmesan Crisps 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Pumpkin Roll Cake 4.5/5 (269 Votes)