LEMON COCONUT BUTTERMILK PIE
- Sugar Crust .
- 1 coconut \
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
1. While the sugar crust is being refrigerated, test
each of the three eyes at the stem end of the coconut
to see which is the softest. Then, use an ice pick or a
screwdriver and a hammer to pierce two of the eyes.
Strain water through a fine sieve into a bowl; reserve
for another use or discard.
2. Place coconut on a rimmed baking sheet; bake for
30 minutes, or until coconut shell begins to crack. Set
aside until cool enough to handle.
3. Wrap coconut in a clean kitchen towel; holding
coconut with one hand, hit it with a hammer in the
same place several times to crack the outer shell and
split the coconut into several large pieces.
4. Separate coconut flesh from shell, and use a
vegetable peeler to remove the dark outer skin. Using
the large holes of a box grater, grate the coconut,
creating long shaved pieces about 1/4 inch wide. You
will need 1 1/4 cups; chill remaining coconut in an
airtight container for another use.
5. Remove crust from refrigerator. Cover with
parchment, and fill with pie weights or beans. Bake
for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool.
Increase oven temperature to 4000•
6. Prepare the custard: In the bowl of an electric
mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter
and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a
time, beating until pale yellow and creamy. Add
buttermilk, vanilla, and lemon juice, beating until well
combined. Mix in lemon zest and 1 cup shredded
7. Pour mixture into pie crust. Sprinkle with
remaining coconut, and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce
heat to 350, and continue baking until pie is golden
brown and custard is set, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool
slightly before serving.
You'll also love
- Buttermilk Pie 4.1/5 (104 Votes)
- Spicy Sesame Noodles with Chopped... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- MUSSELS-SPICY TOMATO SAUCE from... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Kristi's Mamma Kyle's Old Fashion... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- ROAST STUFFED PORK LOIN WITH... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Pork Chops with Mango Chutney 4/5 (1 Votes)
- COCONUT JEWEL COOKIES 4/5 (1 Votes)
- ...How to Substitute Orange... 4/5 (1 Votes)