Pacific Rim Chicken with Bow Ties
- 2 bunches fresh cilantro, leaves and 2 inches (5 cm) tender stems
- 1 large fresh jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 scallions, including some green, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon (9 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound (480 g) boneless and skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 12 ounces (360 g) dry farfale (bow tie) pasta
Adapted from diabetic-recipes.com
In a food processor or blender, combine the cilantro, chile pepper, scallions, garlic, and ginger. Pulse until finely chopped. With motor running, add the oil and lime juice through the feed tube to form a pesto sauce.
Remove 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of the sauce and divide evenly between the chicken breasts, spreading evenly onto 1 side. Cover and refrigerate chicken breasts for about least 30 minutes, or up to 4 hours. Combine remaining pesto sauce with the Parmesan cheese; cover and chill until ready to use.
Light the grill or preheat the broiler. Set a large pot of water on the stove to cook the pasta al dente, according to package directions.
While pasta is cooking, grill or broil the chicken breasts, coated side up about 4 inches (10 cm) from heat source until chicken is done, about 4 to 5 minutes per side, turning once. Transfer chicken to a carving board and cut crosswise into thin strips.
Drain pasta and toss with chicken strips and reserved pesto sauce. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 332 calories (13% calories from fat), 26 g protein, 5 g total fat (0.9 g saturated fat), 45 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 45 mg cholesterol, 79 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 2.5 very lean meat, 3 carbohydrate (3 bread/starch)