Mediterranean Burgers with Tomato-Caper Relish
These burgers are a wonderful change from beef and have a fresh and vibrant flavour thanks to the lemon zest and fresh parsley. The leftover relish is wonderful on sandwiches or as a condiment with crusty bread, cheese and prosciutto for a nice, light lunch.
- 1 lb (500 g) ground pork
- 1 lb (500 g) ground veal
- Zest of 1 lemon, very finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) anchovy paste (optional)
- 6 ciabatta buns, halved crosswise
- Tomato-Caper Relish
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) chili flakes
- 2 cups (500 ml) cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup (250 mL) sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) capers, drained
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh arugula
1. In a large bowl mix together pork, veal, lemon zest, oregano, salt, pepper, parsley and anchovy paste.
2. Once ingredients are combined form the mixture into 6 equal sized patties of 1-inch (2.5-cm) thickness. Make sure not to compress the patties too tightly, this allows them to remain tender.
3. Place in refrigerator while preparing the Tomato-Caper Relish.
4. In a small saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes, add garlic and chili flakes and cook 1 minute longer.
5. Add cherry tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Add sun-dried tomatoes, capers, salt, sugar and water. Bring to the boil.
6. Once boiling reduce heat to low, cover and simmer sauce for 20 minutes.
7. Remove lid and continue cooking over low until the sauce has thickened and any excess liquid has evaporated, remove from heat to let cool. Once cooled stir in basil.
8. Heat the barbecue on high. Place patties on the grill and cook for 4 to 6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink inside. Do not overcook or they will be dry. While burgers are finishing, warm the ciabatta buns on cooler part of the grill.
9. Serve burgers on buns topped with relish and arugula.