Latin Fried Chicken
Latin fried chicken and takes the basics of fried chicken and incorporates some Latin spices and flavor to give things a little bit of a different taste for you.
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped coarse
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest plus 1/4 cup juice (2 limes)
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken pieces (split breasts cut in half crosswise, drumsticks, thighs, and/or wings), trimmed
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- FRYING OIL:
- 3 quarts vegetable or peanut oil
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 150mins
Combine salt, garlic, pepper, cumin, paprika, oregano, and lime zest and juice in bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 hours.
Whisk flour, cornstarch, pepper, granulated garlic, baking powder, white pepper, salt, cumin, and cayenne together in bowl. Place egg whites in shallow dish.
Set wire rack in rimmed baking sheet. Remove chicken from marinade and scrape off solids. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Working with 1 piece at a time, dip chicken into egg whites to thoroughly coat, letting excess drip back into dish. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, pressing to adhere. Transfer chicken to prepared wire rack and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
Add oil to large Dutch oven until it measures about 2 inches deep and heat over medium-high heat to 325°F. Add half of chicken to hot oil and fry until breasts register 160 degrees and drumsticks/thighs register 175°F, 13 to 16 minutes. Adjust burner, if necessary, to maintain oil temperature between 300 and 325°F. Transfer chicken to clean wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Return oil to 325°F and repeat with remaining chicken. Serve.
You'll also love
- Healthy Pork Lo Mein 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole (Low... 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- One Pan Spicy Lemon Chicken Pasta... 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Rosemary-Olive Oil Potato Chips 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Better Than Sex Chex Mix 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Easy Chicken, Broccoli and Rice... 4.1/5 (13 Votes)
- Jamaican Mango Chicken 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Provencal Chicken Mussels Pot 4.3/5 (6 Votes)