Pumpkin Roulade with Ginger Buttercream
The reviews are correct, this one is a keeper! The instructions are right on, and by rolling the cake warm, it didn't crack. The mascarpone cream filling is amazing and well worth the effort! This is a must-do recipe for your next Thanksgiving meal! Thank you, Ina!
- For the cake:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus extra for dusting
- For the filling:
- 12 ounces Italian mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup minced dried crystallized ginger (not in syrup)
- Pinch kosher salt
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from google.com
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 13 by 18 by 1-inch sheet pan. Line the pan with parchment paper and grease and flour the paper.
In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt and stir to combine. Place the eggs and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, until light yellow and thickened. With the mixer on low, add the pumpkin, then slowly add the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Finish mixing the batter by hand with a rubber spatula. Pour into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake the cake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the top springs back when gently touched.
While the cake is baking, lay out a clean, thin cotton dish towel on a flat surface and sift the entire 1/4 cup of confectioners' sugar evenly over it. (This will prevent the cake from sticking to the towel.) As soon as you remove the cake from the oven, loosen it around the edges and invert it squarely onto the prepared towel. Peel away the parchment paper. With a light touch, roll the warm cake and the towel together (don't press!) starting at the short end of the cake. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Meanwhile, make the filling. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the mascarpone, confectioners' sugar, and cream together for about a minute, until light and fluffy. Stir in the crystallized ginger, and salt.
To assemble, carefully unroll the cake onto a board with the towel underneath. Spread the cake evenly with the filling. Reroll the cake in a spiral using the towel as a guide. Remove the towel and trim the ends to make a neat edge. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve sliced.
Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pumpkin-roulade-with-ginger-buttercream-recipe.html#communityReviews?oc=linkback
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (488 Votes)
- Zucchini Parmesan Crisps 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Zucchini Chips 4.5/5 (197 Votes)
- Zucchini & Sweet Corn Casserole 4.5/5 (191 Votes)
- Better Than Sex Pumpkin Dessert 4.5/5 (181 Votes)