Chicken Strips with Garlic Sauce
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp chicken stock or water
- 4 scallions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb vermicelli
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tsp constarch
- 3/4 cup table cream.
1. Put pot of water on to boil for vermicelli. Cut chicken breasts diagonally into long thin strips.
2. Peel garlic and crush in to bowl. Stir in mustard, tomato pasts, vinegar and stock or water
3. Rinse and dry scallions. Holding them together firmly, slice green parts finely and push to one side, then slice white parts finely and keep separate.
4. Heat 1-1/2 tbsp oil in frying pan over high heat. Stir fry chicken 1-2 minutes until white.
5. Stir garlic and vinegar mixture into pan and add white parts of scallions. Bring to boil, cover and simmer gently 5 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, add vermicelli and some salt to boiling water. Return to boil and cook 3 minutes, then drain well and toss in remaining olive oil.
7. Blend constarch with a little cream and stir into chicken. Add green parts of scallions, reserving some for garnish, then add remaining cream and season to taste. Stir over moderate heat 2-3 minutes until sauch thickens.
8. Serve chicken and sauce over vermicelli and garnish with reserved slices of scallion.